St. James was founded to serve students of average and above-average ability in a moral, highly academic, and Christian environment. Students believed to have ability, discipline, and a record of academic achievement will be considered for admission when there is an opening in a particular grade level.
Applicants may enroll in St. James' Primary I class on the first school day following their third birthday if they are potty-trained. Applicants for the Primary II program must be 3 years old by June 1st, and 4 years old by September 1 for the PreKindergarten program. St. James' Primary I students move directly into our Primary II program the school term following their first year.
KINDERGARTEN - SIXTH GRADE ADMISSION
St. James Day School was established to primarily teach the average and above average child. Therefore, the Head of School must have final decision regarding the acceptance and placement of students. St. James recognizes its inability to provide special services such as speech, hearing, behavior modification, or learning disability tutoring. Therefore, there are valid reasons why St. James must set definite requirements for entrance. While we do practice differentiated instruction to teach to individual learning styles, if the time comes when the School feels it can no longer serve a student successfully, a discussion is held with the parents to help them find a school which can supply those services we cannot provide. New applicants for grades 1-6 must provide two teacher recommendations from their previous schools, copies of report cards and standardized tests, and any special services documentation in their academic file. If necessary, we will arrange to have applicants take the Stanford 10 Achievement Test and/or the Otis Lennon School Ability Test to determine if we can best serve the student. Students who are accepted to the School will be admitted when a space becomes available in a particular class. Grades one through six maintain a maximum class size of 18 students per section.
1. SCHOOL VISIT - Families interested in enrolling a child at St. James are requested to visit with the Head of School and tour the campus.
2. APPLICATION - Submit a completed application, with the non-refundable application fee. This includes the cost of admissions testing if testing is necessary.
3. SCHOOL RECORDS - Parents must have a transcript from the applicant's current school sent directly to the School Office. Request for Records Transfer Forms may be obtained in the School Office.
4. RECOMMENDATIONS - Teacher Recommendation Forms are given to the parents upon receipt of the student's application. Students applying for grades four through six must have two teacher recommendations, one from the classroom teacher and one from another teacher. Students applying for first through third grades must have one teacher recommendation. All recommendation forms are to be completed by the appropriate teacher(s) and mailed directly to the school office.
5. TESTING - Individualized testing for students entering grades one through six are scheduled through the school office.
ADMISSION IS GUIDED BY THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA
1. demonstrable academic achievement appropriate to the grade level (at the PreSchool level this is determined in terms of readiness)
2. demonstrable aptitude and behavioral patterns for academic work
3. family belief in private, Christian education.
St. James selects those children who meet its academic standards and who, in its judgment, will benefit most from a progressive curriculum and nurturing environment. Positions will be offered to qualified students as space permits. Families who receive written notification of acceptance, must return the enrollment contract, along with the registration fee, birth certificate, and immunization record, within ten days of notification in order to reserve the student's place for the next school year.
THE FOLLOWING STUDENTS WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY REGARDING ADMISSION
1. applicants with siblings currently enrolled
2. applicants whose parents are alumni of the School
3. applicants whose parents are parishioners of St. James' Church
When a class reaches maximum enrollment, a waiting list will be developed consisting of all qualified applicants, and parents will be notified should a vacancy occur.
St. James Day School does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.
Limited financial aid is available to qualifying families for students in kindergarten through 6th grade. To apply for financial aid, please apply online through TADS.